Sunday, April 05, 2009

Blog Update - 4-05-2009

Been having a great training progression over the past couple of weeks. The training program I am using is designed by Keith Watson, a local professional tri coach. Yes, I am simply training for the BB, but it seems his focus is working well for me. In general we have a workout every day with about 5-6 runs a week and with 1-2 days of cross training. In addition to this, there is at least 2 days of core work with some strength training. I have continued doing the core workout I got from RW awhile back at two sets. In addition to this I have added push-ups generally doing about 4 sets in 20-25-20-20 so far. I will probably add to this next week. I also need to add some of the other strength stuff that he has added to the program, specifically the leg squats (no weight). The most unique part of his training program I feel is the focus on running drills and form. He is very focused on a high turn-over count of at least 90 foot strikes per minute with preferably 95 or higher. The purpose obviously is to get us to have a more mid to forefoot foot strike without concentrating on the actual strike as this is often the key to injury. I am definitely feeling like I am running with less effort these days with a little more speed. What I notice most is that I am not nearly as tired after a run and especially on the day after as I was before. I think a lot of this has to do with the better form...the IT problems have all but disappeared at this point even with 1:24 for 10 miles yesterday. This of course confirms what I had learned from Jeremy Rodgers that IT is most typically the result of over-striding. There are of course other causes like muscle imbalance, leg length discrepancies, etc. However, form is the typical culprit.

Overally, yesterday was a good test of my fitness I think. I did a nice 10 with an average pace of 8:06 with 3 pickup for 10 minutes each starting with 7:40 down to 6:45 for the last one. After the 6:45 I walked for about 60 seconds and started back up again. I was able to maintain a mostly sub-8 pace for the rest of the run. Additionally, I was not that tired at the finish and I felt fine for the rest of the day. Today, I had a 10X60" session generally running between 5:40s and 6:00. Definitely a little sluggish, but overall the speed was still there.

We will see how this ramps through the session. I am a little concerned with the lack of track work, but I think the fast intervals and progression runs might be a nice substitute. I guess we will see!

No comments: