Sunday, June 07, 2009

Springbrook Trail Run

Did a great trail run this morning over at the new Dowdy Draw Trails. Ran Dowdy to Spring Brook to Gowshawk Ridge back to Spring Brook South and then to the top of Dowdy Draw and then back for 10 miles even. This all worked out to about 2100 feet according to the Garmin but probably about 1400 total verticle.

 

 

Overall I felt ok at the start, but mostly sluggish for the majority. I am not sure if this had to do with the climb right (gradual the whole way which is somewhat depressing) out of the gate or if I was just tired after two nights of crappy sleep. Overall I averaged about 9:40 for the whole run including the ups and downs. I guess this is better than last week at BlueStem where I ran about 10min miles for 7.20 with only about 1700 feet according the Garmin.

 

Regardless, I am really enjoying the challenge and the solitude of the trails. Springbrook itself was truly amazing and I was totally blown away at the amount of trails that are rideable from my house. I basically could link these new trails from on the mtn bike with little road work. Amazing. Gowshawk is off limits to bikes, but it was a great run overall. It ended up looking down on the Town of Eldorado and probably links up with Fowler which I believe would link with Rattlesnake. The end part of Gowshanks dumped onto what appeared to be an old rail road as it snaked through the ridge via this amazing curzed cut in the mountain...should have taken a picture of this. A great run when I am in better shape would be to do Springbrook to Gowshawk (or just Springbrook to Fowler to shorten the trip) and then up Rattlesnake for some excellent climbing. I would also like to do the same loop and then jump up Dowdy to the new Flatirons Vista. This would have added about 2-3 today as I essentially climbed the hill to the plateau right near the Vista Trailhead (I guess based on my review of the map).

 

Continue to be happy with the Brooks Cascadias. They felt even better today with no hotspots. Great traction and trail feel overall without being too heavy.

 

 

 

 

 

No comments: