Saturday, February 21, 2009

10 miles in 1:25 - 15X4 progression

Tried the 15 minute intervals at a steady increase in speed for each one. Did the first one a little longer at 16 minutes with a pace of 8:21. The second one was just at 15 in a pace of 8:01, the third one was at 7:39 and the last 15 was at 7:25. Took between 1 minute and 2 minute between each, just long enough to get some water from the pack and allow for the HR to settle back down under 130 or so. The first avg HR was 147, the second 153, the third, 163 and the final was 172 with a max of 179.

Overall great workout. Did not feel beat up at the end nor did I feel particularly tired. Was happy at the end of the last 15 though. Did an ok job with the short strides.

3 comments:

GZ said...

Nice workout! On a loop?

Chris Lee said...

Yes. Kind of around Lafayette and Louisville finishing on the Coal Creek Trail.

I got the workout from a tri-coach I know (http://nodnfcoaching.com/default.aspx). I guess the idea is to teach yourself to run race pace over distance and while tired as well as to know the difference between the different "gears" of pace.

BTW, I have been meaning to ask you about those trails you found by 128 and Mcaslin. Where is a good place to park to hit the trails? - Chris

GZ said...

There is a couple of dirt lots on the north side of 128 where you can then jump into the trails. They are fairly obvious ... you can also see most of the trails as you look down into the Rock Creek sub.