Ran one of my old favorites, loop out Rock Creek to Coal Creek, under 287 and back...just a bit over 5 miles. This will be a perfect route for an MAF test, a lot less boring than running around the office 4 times. Really, really muddy with some snow here and there. A bit annoying to start, but nice to hit something different today. As usual the HR spiked at the very beginning of the run...this is of course why I need to do a real warmup prior to doing any kind of real workout or interval. Strange.
Here are the splits...notice the HR spike in the first .25, then the settle. Pace was mostly even given the early mud...definitely a bit faster as I got back on pavement with no real pace fade across the miles.
Here are the splits...notice the HR spike in the first .25, then the settle. Pace was mostly even given the early mud...definitely a bit faster as I got back on pavement with no real pace fade across the miles.
Great feedback from Lucho this week. He took the time to analyze my LT results from my Boulder Center for Sports Medicine test from late 2008. According to the master, I need to be running in the 135-145 range for most runs with a tempo run sprinkled in weekly in the 150-160 range. "Easy" targets to hit, elegant plan for the foreseeable future. Of course I just need to get used to running slow for the foreseeable future as 135-145 puts me in the 9-9:30 range on a flat course. Kind of an adjustment since I have been running in he low 8's and below through most of the fall and early winter. But, I am convinced this is what I need to do now to build my base fitness for what comes next....
6 comments:
Totally digging that you two got to meet.
I live just a wee south of that picture. Have you hit the new underpass to 287 over to Lac Amora / Lake Link?
Yes, that is my new favorite link...if I am thinking the same route. I run from the hospital under 287, around Strearns and then back to 42...about 6.4 for the loop. Excellent loop.
I end up doing variations with Dillon / 144 Aspen, and the Lake Link trail ... hope our paths cross soon.
The HR spike is probably the monitor, not you. GZ has said before that it is static electricity and that sounds right. Wet the chest strap before you start.
Like I was saying before- try to the HR range for ~4 weeks and test every week. If you don't see improvement then reassess. The most important aspect is that you don't run close to LT during this 4 weeks. Going near or especially over LT wrecks your aerobic fitness when you're trying to build it. The reason that athletes revert back to base training after their racing season is because high intensity erodes aerobic fitness.
I've done 10 million MAF tests on Coal Creek trail. I have from Louisville to 287 overpass measured to the quarter mile. I miss the flats!!!
Hey Tim ... I think real crazy HR numbers are static (or even power line disturbance), but I also have seen that the HR data in the first ten minutes of most runs is high ... but not unrealistically high like 220 or higher ... but it could be 170ish ... although I have thought this could be static as well as it seems to be pretty close to stride rate which is what a shirt would bounce at ... I have just assumed this is warm up ... so is there a bump of noise in HR in the warm up that is often not attributable to static but rather warm up?
... reading my question - even I want to say whatever.
looks like aerobic training really starts tomorrow as I blew it today with George, Brandon and Tony on Green. The right thing to have done would have been walk the whole way up, but for some reason that just would not do. So, tomorrow I start as I now know what the pace feels like...
I like the idea of static electricity vs. some crazy heart problem. Makes me want to do an EKG after a run sometimes...
Post a Comment