Working hard at adding base miles. My goal is to start averaging 30+ miles every week for a month or so eventually getting into the 40 mile range for the early part of the spring. Was able to get in 5 runs last week and I am already at 4 for the week without the "long" run for tomorrow. If I can negotiate for the time I would love to get in a 10-12 miler this weekend just to break the 30 barrier. It is certainly hard to make it happen and the reality is that I need to be more creative and make a few sacrifices to hit 30+ regulary.
I was able to do a commute this week where I ran home yesterday and then ran in this morning. This seems to work great as it combines two of my daily activities, i.e. the 10 minute 1 way drive and the run. So, if I could do this regularly twice a week I would bang out a quick 4 runs without working too hard. This means that I could add 1 run during the day of the work week and I could be at 5 runs for the week with little cost. This may be the key.
I have not added too much spice to the week, except for a few pickups and a 2 mile tempo today at 6:56. This seems to be working ok for now, seems to be kind of close to the MAF philosopy where Monday and Tuesday where around 147-148 for the AVG HR whereas yesterday was up around 156 due to the crazy headwind home and today was at 159 avg with the 2 mile tempo (169 avg during this effort). So, these two weeks have been nice bace training overall.
This week was another focus on form. Monday was one of the smoothest runs I have had. Had an excellent gait with a clear forefoot tendency. Felt real nice in the Mizunos. Tuesday I jumped back to the Brooks and I definitely did not feel as smooth and I was a bit tight from the day before. I was real tight on Wednesday which was why I took the day off. The run home was back to the Mizunos again and felt a bit better. Today was excellent. Felt smooth, especially during the tempo.
Can't wait to try out the Lunar Racers or Trainers. I need to focus on the minimalist shoes for sure!
2 comments:
Doing any hill work? Really helps things.
I'm getting there. I have a great hill by the house which is about 2 minutes sustained at a decent pace. I use it fairly consistently during BB training as well as during marathon training last summer. Just have not had time to squeeze one of these in yet.
Post a Comment